Bedroom Tax

The spare-room subsidy - commonly called the Bedroom Tax - applies to people of working age who claim housing benefit or Universal Credit and have spare bedrooms.

It will not affect anyone of Pension Credit age. Calculate your Pension Credit age here.

It will not affect a couple where the eldest member has reached Pension Credit age, even if the younger member is still of working age.

How much will the reduction be?

Your housing benefit will be reduced by a percentage rate of your rent charged. If you receive partial housing benefit you will have the size criteria applied in the same way as those on full housing benefit.

The reduction is worked out on the number of bedrooms you are under-occupying.

  • 14% for 1 extra bedroom
  • 25% for 2 extra bedrooms
How Many Bedrooms Are Allowed?

One bedroom is allowed for:

  • Each adult couple
  • Any other adult (aged 16 or over)
  • Two children of the same sex under the age of 16
  • Two children regardless of sex under the age of 10
  • Any other child (other than a foster child or a child whose main home is elsewhere).
  • A carer, or one of a team of carers, who do not live with you but provide you or your partner with overnight care.
  • A couple with two children, a boy, 3 and a girl, 5 will qualify for Universal Credit for a two bedroom home. One bedroom for the couple and one bedroom for the two children as they are both under 10.
  • A couple with two children, a boy, 8 and a girl, 11 will qualify for Universal Credit for a three bedroom home. One bedroom for the couple and one bedroom for each of the children (different sexes with one over the age of 10).
  • A lone parent with three children, two boys, 11 and 6 and one girl, 13 will qualify for housing benefit for a three bedroom home. One bedroom for the lone parent, one bedroom for the two boys and one bedroom for the girl as she is over 10.

What Can I do?

Move into a smaller or an appropriately sized property by:

  • Transferring within Weaver Vale
  • Register at Homeswapper for a mutual exchange
  • Transfer to another social landlord.
  • Find a home in the private sector

Take in a lodger but:

  • You can not sublet your property or have a contract with a lodger.
  • The income you receive will impact all your other benefits.

Contact Money Matters who can help you with advice if you want to take in a lodger and help you to manage your money better.