Rent Free Weeks

If you pay your rent weekly we work out how much you have to pay over 48 weeks. 

This means there are four weeks where you don’t have to pay as long as your rent account is clear. If you pay your rent by direct debit or standing order, we will work out 48 weeks rent and divide the amount over 52 weeks so that you make either 12 monthly payments or 26 fortnightly payments.

There are two rent free weeks at Christmas and two at the end of March. December's rent free weeks are W/C 20th & 27th December 2021

Rent & Repairs App

my account

Our 'My Account' rent & repairs* app is available free to all Weaver Vale customers.  Features include;

  • Pay rent online
  • Book (and reschedule) repairs 24/7
  • Check your rent balance
  • Update your contact details 

The App also has a built in self-diagnose function which customers can use to correctly diagnose potential repairs before booking the appointments. The App is available on both the Google play store and Apple store allowing customers to manage tenancies whenever and whereever they need to. To use/register for the app click here

Our Income Team are here to help

income xmas

Please get in touch with us on 0300 303 9848, we are here to help with all money concerns and questions. 

I'm Worried About Paying My Rent

We have a responsibility to manage the income we get from rent responsibly and effectively so that we can maintain our properties and provide services to you. Part of this is preventing rent arrears in a firm but fair way.

We understand that managing your rent and other outgoings can be difficult. If you are struggling to pay your rent, we want to help, so please get in touch as soon as possible. Call us on 03003039848 and ask to speak to your Income Management Officer. We can then arrange for you to pay your arrears in instalments that are easy to manage.

We are committed to giving you advice and practical support to help you pay your rent. We have a Money Matters Team who can help you with debts, budgets and benefits advice.

We also have a Support & Wellbeing team that can support you to maintain your tenancy.

You may be entitled to benefits to help you pay your rent. You can visit Cheshire West and Chester Council’s website or call 03001237021 to find out more.