Tax and benefit information

Below is some relevant information about Universal Credit, Tax Credits, Bedroom Tax and more which may effect your money. 

If you are experiencing any fianncial difficulties, are unsure about what benefits you're entitiled to or wish to speak to someone about your finances please get in touch with our team. 

Call us on 0300 303 9848 and ask to speak to the Rent Support Team or email us at

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a single monthly payment, paid in arrears, for people in or out of work. It is paid into a bank account. You can use this UC Checker, a step by step guide for Universal Credit (UC) claimants, that helps you through the UC application process.

It is for people over 18 and under Pension Credit age. You can calculate your pension credit age here. If you receive money towards your rent then this will be included in your single monthly payment. You will have to make your claim for UC online and not in a local office and you must tell the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) of any changes in your circumstances (including changes to your rent) or you will lose out in your payments. You can learn more about Universal Credit by watching the short video below.

Bedroom Tax

If you are struggling financially and are experiencing difficulties with your benefits, have debts or are finding it difficult to manage your money and pay your rent then we can help. Call them on 0300 303 9848

The spare-room subsidy - commonly called the Bedroom Tax - applies to people of working age who claim housing benefit or Universal Credit and have spare bedrooms.

It will not affect anyone of Pension Credit age. Calculate your Pension Credit age here.

It will not affect a couple where the eldest member has reached Pension Credit age, even if the younger member is still of working age.

How much will the reduction be?

Your housing benefit will be reduced by a percentage rate of your rent charged. If you receive partial housing benefit you will have the size criteria applied in the same way as those on full housing benefit.

The reduction is worked out on the number of bedrooms you are under-occupying.

  • 14% for 1 extra bedroom
  • 25% for 2 extra bedrooms
How Many Bedrooms Are Allowed?

One bedroom is allowed for:

  • Each adult couple
  • Any other adult (aged 16 or over)
  • Two children of the same sex under the age of 16
  • Two children regardless of sex under the age of 10
  • Any other child (other than a foster child or a child whose main home is elsewhere).
  • A carer, or one of a team of carers, who do not live with you but provide you or your partner with overnight care.
  • A couple with two children, a boy, 3 and a girl, 5 will qualify for Universal Credit for a two bedroom home. One bedroom for the couple and one bedroom for the two children as they are both under 10.
  • A couple with two children, a boy, 8 and a girl, 11 will qualify for Universal Credit for a three bedroom home. One bedroom for the couple and one bedroom for each of the children (different sexes with one over the age of 10).
  • A lone parent with three children, two boys, 11 and 6 and one girl, 13 will qualify for housing benefit for a three bedroom home. One bedroom for the lone parent, one bedroom for the two boys and one bedroom for the girl as she is over 10.

Changes to tax credits

Changes to tax credits

Tax credits are ending, here's everything you need to know about transferring to Universal Credit.

For more information visit HERE

If you are in any financial difficulty please call our Rent Support team on 01606 813535. We are here to help.