Ending your Tenancy

We are sorry you wish to leave us and will make your move as easy as possible. In line with your tenancy agreement, we require four full weeks’ notice in writing by completing one of the forms below. Your notice will always start on the following Monday after we receive your completed notice from.

Ending your personal tenancy

We are sorry you wish to leave us and will make your move as easy as possible.

If you want to end your tenancy, you will need to give us four weeks’ notice in writing by completing, signing and returning the form below. If written notice is received on a Monday, the 4 weeks’ notice will start from that day. For notices received any other day of the week, the 4 weeks’ notice period will start from the Monday after this day.

The easiest way to end your tenancy is to complete the form available to download here. Once completed, you can return the form to our office at Gadbrook Point, Rudheath Way, Gadbrook Park, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 7LL or email the signed copy to terminations@wvht.co.uk.

If you rent a separate garage from us, you must give separate notice on this by contacting enquiries@wvht.co.uk.

Ending a tenancy can have serious consequences for your future housing prospects. If you are at all unsure about whether you are making the right decision, please speak to our Lettings Team.

What happens after my written notice is received?

Once we have received the signed and completed form, we will verify your identify and update our housing management systems.

When the notice has been set up, we will provide you with written confirmation of:

  • The date your tenancy will end
  • The process for returning the keys
  • What is expected when you vacate your property

We will also arrange for one of our Lettings Advisors to complete a home visit during the notice period. This will provide the opportunity to discuss any questions you have around vacating your home and allow us to inspect the property.

What do I need to do before I move?

There will be a lot to sort before you move. You will need to:

  • Pay all rent and charges upto the date the tenancy ends. If there is a delay in returning the keys after the tenancy end date, an occupancy charge equivalent to a weekly rent will continue to be made until the keys are returned. It is therefore critical to keep in contact with us if you experience any potential delays.
  • Remove any sheds, greenhouses and/or garages from your garden.
  • Remove all furniture and personal belongings. Unfortunately, if you leave any items in your home, we will charge for removing and disposing of these.
  • Remove rubbish from inside and outside of the property.
  • Clean and leave the property in a reasonable state.
  • Ensure that any gas appliances are safely removed by a Corgi registered / gas safe engineer.
  • Ensure any alterations made without our permission are put back to their original state. A failure to do this will result in a recharge.
  • Ensure you empty the loft and any outbuildings.
  • Provide us with your forwarding address.
  • Advise suppliers of the move including united utilities and your phone company. The Trust will arrange to transfer your gas and electricity supplies to British Gas at the end of the notice period. You should take final readings before you move.
  • If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, ensure you notify the benefit department.
  • Ensure you update the Council Tax department.
  • Ensure you redirect your post. Search online for redirect my post. The Trust will not forward any mail to you.
  • Return your keys to us before close of business on the day your tenancy ends. You may return your keys before the tenancy end date, but rent will continue to be charged until the tenancy ends.

How do I return my keys?

You can return the keys to our offices at Gadbrook Point, Rudheath Way, Gadbrook Park, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 7LL. Our reception is open 9.00am to 4.00pm. Outside of these hours you can post keys in our post box at the side of the main reception. Please ensure that all keys are clearly labelled and a covering note confirming the date, address of the property and who has delivered the keys is included.

I want to notify you that a relative has passed away of is moving into care

We appreciate that enquiries may be made from relatives whose loved one has sadly passed away or is moving in to care. Our Lettings Team can be contacted by calling 0300 303 9848 or by emailing terminations@wvht.co.uk

We will discuss the individual circumstances and support you during this difficult time. The sections below offer some additional information for these cases.

Ending someone’s tenancy who has passed away

We're very sorry for your loss. Please remember that we are here to help. If you have any concerns please get in touch with our Lettings Team by calling 0300 303 9848 or email terminations@wvht.co.uk.

If anyone else was living in the property at the time of death, we will need to confirm whether there is a right to succeed to the tenancy. Please contact us to discuss this fully.

If no one else was living in the property at the time of the death, notice to end the tenancy can be given.

Who is able to end the tenancy?

If you are the executor of the late tenants will / next of kin, you can provide details to enable us to start to process the end of tenancy.  

Please fully complete the form here and return it to Gadbrook Point, Rudheath Way, Gadbrook Park, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 7LL or download and email the completed form to terminations@wvht.co.uk.

Please ensure a copy of the death certificate is also provided.

If there is no next of kin please contact us to discuss the situation further.

Moving into permanent nursing care

You or someone you know is moving into permanent nursing care. What do you need to do?

If your relative has a permanent nursing home placement and no intention to return to their home, they can complete the ending your tenancy form above and sign and return it to Gadbrook Point, Rudheath Way, Gadbrook Park, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 7LL or download and email the completed form to terminations@wvht.co.uk.

Please also provide confirmation from the nursing home/social worker of the permanent placement.

If your relative lacks capacity to complete and sign an ending tenancy form, please contact us on 0300 303 9848 so we can provide advice on the process to be followed.