Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse is defined as any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. This can include, but is not limited to the following types of abuse:

  • Physical
  • Psychological
  • Sexual
  • Financial
  • Emotional

It could also be in the form of ‘honour’ based violence, including forced marriage. female genital mutilation (FGM) or stalking and harassment.

Domestic abuse can affect anyone aged 16 upwards regardless of ethnicity, gender, sexuality or social background.

The frequency and severity of domestic violence can vary, just one instance counts as abuse, and it can be an ongoing pattern of behaviour. However, the one unchanging factor of a domestic abuse relationship is the ability of the abuser to maintain power and control over the victim.

Legislation was introduced in 2015 which made controlling or coercive behaviour in an intimate or family relationship an offence.

If any of what you have read hear sounds like your situation, it’s probable that you’re a victim of domestic abuse

If you feel you are a victim of any form of domestic abuse, or feel at risk, we can offer you a range of advice and support.

What can we at Weaver Vale Housing Trust do to help?

We can arrange to meet you in a place of safety to assess your situation and get you the help and or advice you need.  

Your information will be kept confidential other than to the agencies that you have agreed are necessary to support you. However, as we take safeguarding of our customers seriously, if you or a child is at risk of significant harm we will share information with the relevant agencies. 

We work closely with partner agencies to make sure you get the help you need, including if you need to leave your home or access legal advice.

If your home needs securing or you have urgent repairs, we can arrange for the work to be done as a priority.

We can also give you advice on applying for benefits and help you fill out the forms.

You can report any incidents to us by calling 0300 303 9848

But if you feel in immediate danger, please contact the police by calling 999.

Report it

If you live in Cheshire West and Chester

Domestic Abuse Intervention and Prevention Service  - 03001 237 047

Chester Sexual Abuse Support Service - 0808 2840484

Cheshire Without Abuse - 01270 250390

Cheshire Cares (Victim Services) - 01606 366 336
Women’s Housing Action Group (WHAG)  - 0151 356 4686

If you live in Cheshire East:

Cheshire East Domestic Abuse Hub - 0300 123 5101

Text: 07771 941 464


You can also find free support tips and advice services across Cheshire by clicking here

You can also ring the National Domestic Violence helpline on 0808 2000 247.  ManKind Initiative specialise in supporting men.