An adaptation is a piece of equipment or fixed modification to a property that enables people to live more independently and comfortably in their home.  

Equipment solutions are not permanently fixed to your home and are usually supplied to customers via Cheshire West and Chester Council in situations where people have mobility difficulties or other disabilities. Some examples of equipment are bath seats or lifts, commodes or walking frames. Fixed Adaptations are split into two categories defined as ‘Minor’ or Major’.    

What work is considered a Minor Adaptation?

Minor Adaptations are classed as items of work costing less than £1,000 that provide low level assistance.

We carry out minor adaptations without the requirement for further assessment in circumstances where the solution is simple and straightforward such as the installation of lever taps or grab rails.

If your circumstances are considered personalised such as a significant alteration to external steps or a wall to floor handrail, you may require an assessment with an Occupational Therapist or Social Care Assessor.

For further information and advice about minor adaptations please contact us on 0300 303 9848

Typical Minor Adaptations include: 

  • Fitting handrails, stair-rails and grab-rails
  • Reducing the height of front/ rear steps
  • Installation of an electrical plug socket
  • Fitting of lever taps
  • Fitting of wall mounted equipment (shower seat)
  • Installation of fluorescent lighting

What is a Major Adaptation?

Any adaptation work that exceeds £1000 requires an assessment via an Occupational Therapist or Social Care Assessor, for further information please contact your local council.

Please be aware that Disabled Facilities Grants are subject to a financial assessment, this is to ensure that there is fairness and transparency and that the Council’s DFG budget is used appropriately

The area you live in will determine which Council to contact:

  • Cheshire West and Chester Council on 0300 123 7034 or online
  • Cheshire East Council 0300 123 5500 or online
  • Warrington Council 01925 443322 or online

Typical Major Adaptations include:

  • Access Ramps 
  • Level Access Shower’s  
  • Stairlift’s       
  • Through Floor Lift’s   
  • Extensions to a property      
  • Structural Changes within the property

There are some situations when the Trust is unable to approve permission for major adaptation work. Further detailed information and some examples are explained in our FAQ's. 

Solid Fuel Appliances

We understand that many people are looking at alternative ways of heating their properties. Solid Fuel appliances and Wood Burning stoves are becoming increasingly popular, but with them comes an increased risk of house fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Whilst we can appreciate that Solid Fuel or Wood Burning appliances may seem an attractive proposition, we will not grant permission for these to be installed in our properties.

Solid Fuel or Wood Burning Appliances are known as open flued appliances can be potentially dangerous as a result. If you install any Open Flued Fire or Wood Burner then you will be asked to remove the appliance immediately and cover the costs of any rectification works which ensure the property is restored to its original configuration.

Read Solid Fuel leaflet. to find out more