Universal Credit Support & Advice

For further help about UC contact Money Matters or any of the organisations below.

Claim Universal Credit here

Taper changes to Universal Credit November 2021


Preparing for Universal Credit

Get ready for UC by doing the following:

  • Get a bank account to receive UC and then make electronic rent payments
  • Draw up a monthly budget as UC is paid monthly. Get used to budgeting monthly by downloading this budget sheet.
  • Save enough money to cover five weeks because that is how long it will take from starting your UC claim until you receive your money. Download this spending diary to help you keep track of day to day spending.
  • Make sure you and your partner (if applicable) have three items of identification. Preferably photo ID (passport or driving licence). If not you can view the full evidence list to help you prepare for your application.
  • Get online as applying for and managing UC is all done online. Visit UK online to find cheap or free access. We offer free internet access at our offices and at the Greenbank Hub and the Greenfields bungalow. You can access the internet at all libraries throughout Cheshire West & Chester

Which benefits are affected?

UC replaced:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

UC affected:

  • Contribution based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Contribution Based Employment Support Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Disabled Living Allowance for children
  • Carers Allowance
  • Pension Credit

UC for Vulnerable People

Universal Credit Logo

Alternative payment arrangements (APAs) are an alternative way of getting payments.

They include:

  • Paying the rent directly to your landlord if your arrears build up
  • Making more frequent payments
  • Splitting the payment within the household

APAs can also be considered if a claimant meets any of the Tier 1 and Tier 2 factors indicating need. If you fall into one of these categories then it is likely that the housing element of your UC claim can be paid directly to us.

Tier 1 factors – Highly likely/probable need for alternative payment arrangements
  • Drug/alcohol and/or other addiction problems e.g. gambling
  • Learning difficulties including problems with literacy and/or numeracy
  • Severe/multiple debt problems
  • In temporary and/or supported accommodation
  • Homeless
  • Domestic violence/abuse
  • Mental health condition
  • Currently in rent arrears/threat of eviction/repossession
  • Claimant is young either a 16/17 year old and/or a care leaver
  • Families with multiple and complex needs
Tier 2 factors - Less likely/possible need for alternative payment arrangements
  • No bank account
  • Third party deductions in place (e.g. for fines, utility arrears etc)
  • Claimant is a refugee/asylum seeker
  • History of rent arrears
  • Previously homeless and/or in supported accommodation
  • Other disability (e.g. physical disability, sensory impairment etc)
  • Claimant has just left prison
  • Claimant has just left hospital
  • Recently bereaved
  • Language skills (e.g. english not spoken as the ‘first language’).
  • Ex service personnel
  • NEETs - Not in Education, Employment or Training

Get online

Applications to most public services such as housing and Universal Credit must  be made online. If you cannot access the internet easily from home you can also access it in the following place locally:

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a single monthly payment, paid in arrears, for people in or out of work. It is paid into a bank account.

It is for people over 18 and under Pension Credit age. You can calculate your pension credit age here

If you receive money towards your rent then this will be included in your single monthly payment.

You will have to make your claim for UC online and not in a local office and you must tell the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) of any changes in your circumstances (including changes to your rent) or you will lose out in your payments.