Home Contents Insurance

When you rent a house from us, your rent payment does not include insurance. It is your responsibility to insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

We encourage you to insure your belongings, and can arrange home contents insurance for you through Allianz Insurance plc.

Prices start from

  • 40p per week only available for Residents living in Independent Living Apartments
  • 60p per week for tenants aged 60 and over, for a £6,000 sum insured
  • 90p per week for all other residents


By paying an additional premium, you can also include:

  • Extended accidental damage cover within the home (for example, if you were to spill paint whilst decorating, or knock over an ornament)
  • Personal possessions cover, including mobiles, anywhere in the UK
  • Wheelchairs and hearing aids
  • Garden hut, garage and greenhouse structures


  • No excess to pay if you make a claim
  • All postcodes included at no added cost
  • Pay weekly along with your rent, there is no charge during the rent free weeks.

The cover is new for old cover, which means your belongings would be replaced as new, except for bed linen and clothing. They would be replaced at their current cost less an amount for wear and tear.

When making a claim, the insurers may wish to inspect the damaged item(s) and/or the building where the loss or damage occurred.  It is important that you do not dispose of any damaged items before the insurer has had a opportunity to inspect them.  You will be asked to provide evidence of ownership of the item(s), examples of proof of ownership which may be accepted when making a claim are receipts, warrantees, instructions manuals, photographs and packaging.


For more information download the Home Contents Pack application pack, which includes an application form and full instructions on how to apply. It also includes a handy checklist that will help you work out how much cover you need.

If you prefer, we can send you an application pack – contact us to arrange this.

Terms and conditions apply – ask us for a copy of the policy wording.

Here is a useful Insurance Product Information Document, which provides a summary of the key information relating to this policy.

In order to join the scheme or make a claim, you must be no more than 3 weeks in arrears.  If you miss a payment the insurers may not pay a claim, and if you fall behind with your rent we may cancel your policy.


Contact Rent Accounts;                 rentaccounts@wvht.co.uk          01606 813367 or 01606 813364